[whatwg] proposal: extend <time> to markup durations

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Tantek ?~Gelik wrote:

> Some in the microformats community have been making good use of the
> <time> element, e.g. for publishing hCalendar, and implementing
> consuming/converting hCalendar [1] with good success.
>
> It would be great if the <time> element could support expressing
> durations as well for the use cases as needed by the hMedia and hAudio
> microformats as well as other use-cases (Wikipedia, IMDB).

I've since added this feature. It supports both the hard-to-read but
pretty well-established ISO8601 duration syntax:

   <time>PT4H18M3S</time>

...and a slightly easier-to-read syntax:

   <time>4h 18m 3s</time>

Earlier in this thread I suggested maybe dropping <time> altogether, with
a more generic replacement. Having tried that and gotten lots of negative
feedback on the topic, I've since changed the spec again and we now have
both a generic element for machine-readable data, <data>, as well as an
element specifically for time-related machine-readable data, <time>.

The old <time> element, with its rendering rules and DOM API, are gone.