[whatwg] windowToCanvas()

From: David Geary <david.mark.geary@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:52:05 -0600
In a previous email titled ?Should Paths be First Class Citizens?, I briefly
discussed this code snippet:

context.canvas.onmousedown = function (e) {
   var loc = windowToCanvas(context.canvas, e);

   polygons.forEach( function (polygon) {  // polygons is an array of
polygon objects
      polygon.createPath();  // my polygons have a createPath() method

      if (context.isPointInPath(loc.x, loc.y)) {
         alert('mouse clicked in polygon');
      }
   });
}

I implemented the windowToCanvas() myself. That methods?s not too difficult
to implement after you know how to do it properly, but it?s not very
straightforward to implement if you are new to web development.

Would it make sense to add such a method to the Canvas specification?

David
Author of Core HTML5 Canvas (corehtml5canvas.com)