[whatwg] [editing] Additional miscellaneous commands

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:09:05 +0000
?ann fim 18.?g? 2011 21:05, skrifa?i Alfonso Mart?nez de Lizarrondo:
> Now if someone had some bright idea to enable finding in the hidden text
> that would be perfect, but the view source workaround is good enough for the
> moment.

That seems to be of general utility. I recommend sending feature request
to implementors.

> That's just CSS and I'm not sure if it should be present in this spec, but
> on the other side it's clear that besides the .execCommand a good Editing
> spec should state or hint about other features that the browsers must
> implement to behave properly (like showing the caret so the user knows where
> he's typing,  enable the user to select parts of the content,...). These
> might look trivial, but iOS5 seems to be the first mobile browser that will
> behave good enough so that both CKEditor and TinyMCE will enable the support
> for it (check the comments in
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8253 about the Android
> browser)
As long as overspecification is avoided (care must be taken to allow
e.g. caret(s) to be hidden when another top-level window is focused, etc).

> A browser that provides a perfect implementation of all the execCommands but
> doesn't allow the user to type or select is worthless for editing.
Then requiring implementations to allow users to select and replace any
substring consisting of a sequence of whole characters (i.e. characters
represented by a single glyph) and insert text of their own at any
character boundaries seems reasonable. I don't see why mandating carets
is needed. Should users not be allowed to edit editable content using
structural and/or aural editors?