[whatwg] [editing] HTML Editing APIs specification ready for implementer feedback

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:
> Things that are visibility:hidden are not focusable. I don't think that can
> be changed without compat problems. If visibility:hidden things are not
> focusable, I guess it makes sense to not make it selectable, too. (Possibly
> Web pages also expect visibility:hidden things to let clicks go through?)
>
> Sense aside, visibility:hidden is not selectable in any current browsers,
> right?

Testing with <div contenteditable>foo<span
style=visibility:hidden>bar</span>baz</div>, Firefox 7.0a2 and Opera
11.50 both allow placing the cursor in the hidden text as normal,
letting you type and delete and so on.  Chrome 14 dev jumps over it,
so if your cursor is at b[]az and you go back it jumps to foo[].
IE10PP2 just ignores the visibility and makes it visible (??).

So it seems like treating it like regular text is the best match for
current browsers, as well as the simplest, unless people have other
test-cases that are relevant.