[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
> Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> schrieb am Thu, 30 Dec 2010 01:47:51 +0000
> (UTC):
> >
> > I am skeptical about allowing Web pages decide what should be in the
> > context menu. Adding things is ok, but removing things leads to a
> > broken user experience. For example, as a user I frequently make use
> > of "view source", and I don't think it would be good for a page to be
> > able to remove that feature.
>
> For the record, crippling context menus is in the wild already: Youtube
> has no ?save to disk? (or any other of the standard options) on a
> HTML5 video, only ?about HTML5?.

Granted, but that doesn't mean we should make it worse. Better to remove
such possibilities first (which is what <menu> is about enabling).

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> One possible UI: pushing options into a separate menu block.  For
> example, XP's start menu does this; less-used items are hidden until you
> click an arrow at the bottom of the list to expand the full menu. This
> would allow sites to set up their own context menu items without a lot
> of clutter, but disallow them from completely disabling the existing
> one.
>
> I'm not sure whether pages hinting whether to do this would be
> meaningful, since context menu presentation varies wildly and the
> desired hint may be different for each browser.  This may be better left
> to browser extensions.

This is one of the possible ways to implement <menu>/contextmenu=. I look
forward to implementation experience for these features to guide future
work along these lines.