[whatwg] Dynamic pseudo-classes on video/audio element to allow styling of controls

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:53:15 -0700
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov at chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Based on WebKit's current media controls, let's start with these
>> pseudo-classes:
>>
>> Play state:
>> - playing
>> - streaming
>> - error
>
> What's the difference between 'playing' and 'streaming'? Currently I don't
> think we have anything that defines this in the spec.

I am a total ignoramus of the spec, but in WebKit, streaming
audio/video has slightly different UI (no rewind or back/forward
buttons, etc.)

>> Capabilities:
>> - no-audio
>> - no-video
>> - has-closed-captioning
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have "has-audio" and "has-video" instead? Positive
> terms usually work better than negated terms.

True, but has-audio is the default, so I'd rather not have to suddenly
start "video + div.volume-button" only match when there's no audio. Or
otherwise introduce both has-audio and no-audio.