[whatwg] Dynamic pseudo-classes on video/audio element to allow styling of controls

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:02:56 +0200, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov at chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:25:20 +0200, Dimitri Glazkov
>>> <dglazkov at chromium.org>

>>> With a sufficiently large set of pseudo-classes it might be possible to
>>> do
>>> *display* most of the interesting state, but how would you *change* the
>>> state without using scripts? Play/pause, seek, volume, etc...
>>
>> This is not the goal of using pseudo-classes: they just provide you
>> with a uniform way to react to changes.
>
> In other words, one would still have to rely heavily on scripts to actually
> implement custom controls?

Heavily is subjective. But yep :)

> Also, how would one style a progress bar using pseudo-classes? How about a
> displaying elapsed/remaining time on the form MM:SS?

I am not in any way trying to invent a magical way to style media
controls entirely in CSS. Just trying to make the job of controls
developers easier and use CSS where it's well... useful? :)