[whatwg] Dynamic pseudo-classes on video/audio element to allow styling of controls

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:25:20 +0200, Dimitri Glazkov
<dglazkov at chromium.org> wrote:

> I wonder if it makes sense to introduce a set of pseudo-classes on the
> video/audio elements, each reflecting a state of the media on the
> controls (playing/paused/error/etc.)? Then, we could use just CSS to
> style media controls (whether native or custom), and not have to
> listen to DOM events just to tweak their appearance.

With a sufficiently large set of pseudo-classes it might be possible to do
*display* most of the interesting state, but how would you *change* the
state without using scripts? Play/pause, seek, volume, etc...

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer