[whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

From: Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 04:25:36 +0800
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 05:16, Kenneth Russell <kbr at google.com> wrote:
> (...)
> To sum up, in general I think that whenever getContext("webgl")
> returns null, it's unrecoverable in a high quality WebGL
> implementation.

Makes sense.
Applications could detect all possible context creation failure
scenarios with something like this :

var gl = canvas.getContext("webgl");
if (!gl) {
    if (!window.WebGLRenderingContext) {
       // Your browser does not support WebGL. Please upgrade your browser.
    } else {
       // WebGL could not be initialized on your setup. Please check
that your GPU is supported and/or upgrade your drivers.
if (gl.isContextLost()) {
    // Not enough resources to initialize WebGL. Please try closing
    // (an application can, but is not required to, listen to
webglcontextlost and use statusMessage to give more information)

For the use case of detecting context restoration error, we could
possibly add an 'isRestorable' boolean to webglcontextlost event to
signal the app when restoration failed (and/or won't ever happen).

Therefore I believe we can get rid of webglcontextcreationerror
entirely, and we do not need to throw an exception either.