[whatwg] Styling <details>

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:34:25 +0300
Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Regardless of whether or not we agree on a common glyph to use for
> this,  we should at least agree on the applicable CSS styles used to
> achieve
> the rendering, which is essential so that authors have an easier time
> override them with their own styles.

It?s far too premature to consider such things. We don?t know what are the
feasible or optimal renderings of <details> elements. Actually, if you wish
to make them widely understood and used, you _don?t_ want to encourage
authors to suggest their idiosyncratic renderings. On the average, a web
author, left alone, creates a much poorer user interface than a person
designing a web browser ? simply because the latter is some kind of a
professional in such matters.

> If we use 'list-style-type', it seems reasonable to at least agree on
> a common list-style-type value.

Why should we use list-style-type for something that clearly ain?t no list?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/