[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Chris Pearce <chris at pearce.org.nz> wrote:

>  On 21/09/2010 2:37 p.m., Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Shiv Kumar <skumar at exposureroom.com>wrote:
>
>    The only thing that remains then is if web developers would like
>> control over the poster, such as to show the poster after the video has
>> ended, then there should be a way to do that. For this we need a method to
>> show the poster once again. Current there is no way to get the poster to
>> show again and the load() method is not the answer, nor is resetting. A
>> simple method that does not impact anything else will do the trick.
>>

> I am trying to understand why load() is not an adequate answer.
>

> One caveat: if you use load() to reset the poster image, you'll trigger all
> the events and state changes, and reset the volume, currentTime,
> playbackRate and so on.

As it currently stands, load() also resets the pause state and reloads the
media resource, making it a bit useless for this need. This is why I
considered a reset() function, which would essentially allow you to reset
the current resource to the initial playback state, i.e. including being in
pause state (if the element has a pause attribute) and resetting the
currentTime to 0 and showing the poster. We should probably not reset the
playbackRate and the volume though, or any of the selected TimedTracks, and
of course we should avoid re-downloading the resource.

Cheers,
Silvia.