[whatwg] Form element invalid message

Roger,

Yes, an error or errormsg attribute that one can set at the server side
since the message you?d want the user to see will most likely be determined
by business rules.

Spec-ing how UAs should display the message may be a bit much but we should
have a way of hooking into the validation process and overriding the
displaying of messages. Say an event called onaftervalidation for example,
(which is fired after all validations have been run), where the event could
provide a collection of elements that did not pass the validation logic.

>and that if it is: <input size="20" name="email" id="email" error=""
type="email" required>
>or if it is <input size="20" name="email" id="email" type="email" required>
>then the built in browser error message for type="email" should be shown?

Yes, then the browser should show highlight the error in the way they see
fit. As of today, they each (those that do support validation) have their
own way. Some simply highlight the field and others (Opera) show a box under
the field. But they each call out only one field at a time.

Shiv

 <http://exposureroom.com/> http://exposureroom.com