From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Chris Pearce
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:10 PM
To: whatwg at lists.whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

On 20/09/2010 12:50 p.m., Aryeh Gregor wrote:

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Shiv Kumar  <mailto:skumar at exposureroom.com> <skumar at exposureroom.com> wrote:

The poster frame should remain visible until the video is played.

I agree with Silvia, this should be required by the spec.

This makes sense, we should spec this so that the poster must be visible until its played, otherwise the poster attribute can't be relied upon by authors.

The poster should show again after the video has ended.

I'm ambivalent about this.  I could go either way.

Aesthetically, I feel we shouldn't show the poster once the video has finished. Authors could script this behaviour if they wanted it. The spec as it's written forbids showing the poster after a video frame has been shown.

The visibility of the poster should be scriptable and/or controllable using
an attribute. Meaning that one should be able to turn on/off the poster
(without changing the poster attrbute?s value)

I don't see why this is necessary.

I also don't see why this is necessary. The poster attribute is only useful if it's enabled, it's not useful if it isn't. Having an attribute to denote whether the poster attribute is enabled seems like duplication of state to me.

  You can just do

video.dataset.poster = video.poster;
video.removeAttribute("poster");

to remove it, and

video.poster = video.dataset.poster;

to restore, if you like.  (In browsers that implement dataset, which
is apparently only WebKit so far.  But you can easily store the
original value someplace else, although not quite as elegantly.)

The specification for poster [1] implies that we should handle dynamic changes to the poster attribute. I can imagine authors may want to cycle through a chain of poster images for a given video, and this can (theoretically) be easily implemented by changing the poster attribute in a timer.

Chris P.

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#attr-video-poster