[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> Your analysis of what format for headers we can introduce without breaking
>> old SRT files speaks against that. Whatever extensions we introduce beyond
>> what we currently have will break compatibility with some and increasingly
>> more old SRT parsing software. Not to speak of format compatibility, which
>> is already a non-given.
>>

> You're right, adding a header breaks SRT compat.
>
>   Allowing anything as part of the syntax is a bit

>>> That's a good point. I don't suppose it's a huge problem in practice that
>>> errors can't be detected until EOF, but it's certainly not a desirable
>>> feature. To maintain some sanity, we probably ought to either require the
>>> correct MIME type or require the correct magic bytes. From the <video>
>>> MIME
>>> type debacle, I think I slightly prefer magic bytes to be checked by the
>>> parser.
>>>
>>> I've also argued for the inclusion of metadata, so I'm beginning to warm
>>> up
>>> to the idea of adding a header beginning with "WebSRT" or some such. If
>>> we
>>> do this, no existing SRT content can be reused, but we can still try to
>>> make
>>> it possible for WebSRT files to be reusable in desktop applications, by
>>> keeping the syntax highly compatible so that the same parser can be used
>>> for
>>> both without a mode switch.
>>>

>> Sounds good to me. I'm sure browsers would find a way to have old SRTfiles
>> slip through the cracks, but that's not what we should bespecifying for. SRT
>> could IMHO be a second format to support in <track>elements, but WebSRT
>> should be the baseline.
>>

> The point of a header is that browsers can identify WebSRT files and not
> keep parsing through a 100GB movie file, so if we do add a header then no
> existing SRT files will work. I certainly don't want to support SRT and
> WebSRT as *different* formats.
>

>  So, thinking about that header: from your analysis of the existing files:
>> did you have many starting with @.. ?
>>

> 22/10000 files have lines starting with @, but since this is only in the
> header, I don't think it matters.
>

>  I'd be happy for the name-value pairs spec that Ian mentioned, which could
>> then lead to something like the following as header:
>>
>> WebSRT
>> @language --> en-US
>> @kind --> subtitle
>> @cueformat --> plain/minimal/metadata
>> @author --> Frank, Charlie, Anna
>> @date --> 20th September 2010
>> @copyright --> WGBH, 2010
>> @license --> CC-BY-SA, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>>

> I'd say that the simplest approach is probably requiring the first line to
> be "WebSRT", and then all lines up to the first blank line are defined as
> the header. I'm not sure what the point of using @ is, and using --> here
> seems weird as it's used for a range in the timing line, something quite

I thought the argument for this was that it makes for backwards
compatibility with existing SRT parsers. I would be very happy to drop these
and just use "name": "value", or "name": "value1", "value2" and possibly
even "name": { "value1", "value2" } where the latter works for multi-line
metadata.

> I think the following would be simpler:
>
> WebSRT
> language: en-US
> author: Frank
> date: 2010-09-20
>
> (allowing free form dates makes it non-machine-readable, so why bother?)

Yup, sure. I was more concerned to figure out which fields might be
important.

>  Further, with your analysis, it seemed like the following could be
>> acceptable for comments:
>>
>> // Lines starting with // are comments
>>

> Yes, but do we need comments in the cues at all? Since SRT has no comments,
> this would make the cue format incompatible too, in which case we can just
> stop pretending that there's any relationship to SRT.

Would comments be in cues? I would think they would only be allowed in
between cues, thus making them a broken cue for existing SRT parsers.

Silvia.