[whatwg] Video with MIME type application/octet-stream

On Sep 3, 2010, at 12:48 , Aryeh Gregor wrote:

>> Er... Where did I propose this?  I proposed speccing that there MUST NOT be
>> any sniffing, with browsers that sniff therefore being nonconformant.  I
>> didn't propose allowing ad-hoc sniffing.
>
> Right.  But the spec never allowed sniffing, and two browsers do it
> anyway.  Ian has spoken to those browsers' implementers, and the
> browsers have not changed, despite knowing that they aren't following
> the spec.  Do you have any particular reason to believe that they'll
> change?  If not, then the situation I described is exactly what your
> proposal (i.e., the status quo) will result in, no?

Um, I think that in some cases the code that is supporting video/audio has ... historical artefacts ... which may not be entirely in line with the specs.  I think it's dangerous to make assumptions in this area, especially if you then go and ask for a change in a spec. based on assumptions.

David Singer