[whatwg] Exposing filenames in DataTransfer

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:12:09 -0700
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Daniel Cheng <dcheng at chromium.org> wrote:
> However, this leads to issues like file system paths being exposed through
> properties like "x-special/gnome-icon-list" or even "text/plain". What is
> the expected behavior here? Mirroring the native dragging clipboard allows
> for a much richer interaction with the system, but I'm not sure if we need
> to go out of our way to try to scrub all paths from the drag. After all, if
> you're dropping the file on the page, you're already exposing the contents
> of the file, which are probably much more interesting than just the path.

Could you provide some more detail?  I have no idea what you mean by
"However, this leads to issues like file system paths being exposed
through properties like "x-special/gnome-icon-list" or even
"text/plain"."  Those aren't properties, nor do they expose
file-system paths.

Do you perhaps mean that they expose generally the origin of the file,
such that you know if you see "x-special/gnome-icon-list" that the
file is probably coming from wherever gnome stores that kind of file?

~TJ