[whatwg] SearchBox API

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:35:58 -0400
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Tony Gentilcore <tonyg at chromium.org> wrote:
> The app?has the heuristics. The UA fetches the page and discards it if the
> page doesn't indicate support. As pointed out this is suboptimal. Perhaps we
> need a two phase indication of support. First OpenSearch indicates that the
> page might support it, then the page itself has a chance to deny support on
> a per-request basis.

That sounds like a reasonable approach.

>> Feedback from other search vendors would be particularly essential
>> before this becomes standardized, I'd think. ?Possibly other search
>> engines would have somewhat different takes that would require a
>> different API.
>
> Agreed. That is exactly what I'm trying to elicit.

Unfortunately, no one from Microsoft officially participates in the
WHATWG, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone from Yahoo here
either.  You might more easily get attention from Microsoft by posting
to the public-html list in the W3C (although they don't post much
there).  Or maybe have someone from Google contact them directly for
comment.  This doesn't seem like a feature that any authors would be
interested in beyond the biggest search engines, given the latency
guarantees you'd need to make it usable.