[whatwg] Canvas gradients color interpolation - change to premultiplied?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:09:40 +0100, Philip Taylor
<excors+whatwg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Right now, canvas gradients interpolate their colors in
>> non-premultiplied space; that is, the raw values of r, g, b, and a are
>> interpolated independently.  This has the unfortunate effect that
>> colors darken as they transition to transparent, as "transparent" is
>> defined as "rgba(0,0,0,0)", a transparent black.  Under this scheme,
>> the color halfway between "yellow" and "transparent" is
>> "rgba(127,127,0,.5)", a partially-transparent dark yellow, rather than
>> "rgba(255,255,0,.5)".*
>
> If you define the gradient as interpolating from solid yellow to
> transparent black, I'd expect that it *should* be semi-transparent
> blackish-yellow in the middle.
>
> If you want it to be pure yellow, don't use a keyword which is
> explicitly specified as transparent black - define the gradient from
> rgba(255,255,0,1) to rgba(255,255,0,0) instead. Then you'll get
> rgba(255,255,0,0.5) in the middle.
>
>> The rest of the platform has switched to using premultiplied colors
>> for interpolation, because they react better in cases like this**.
>> CSS transitions and CSS gradients now explicitly use premultiplied
>> colors, and SVG ends up interpolating similarly (they don't quite have
>> the same problem - they track opacity separate from color, so
>> transitioning from "color:yellow;opacity:1" to
>> "color:yellow;opacity:0" gives you "color:yellow;opacity:.5" in the
>> middle, which is the moral equivalent of "rgba(255,255,0,.5)").
>
> That sounds like SVG gradients *can't* be using premultiplied colours.
> A transition from "color:yellow;opacity:1" to "color:black;opacity:0"
> will have rgba(127,127,0,0.5) in the middle, and it's impossible to
> get that if you are using premultiplied colours. You'd have to have
> A=1 at the start and A=0 at the end, so (with premultiplied colour)
> the end would be interpreted as rgba(0,0,0,0), so you'd get the same
> as interpolating to "color:yellow;opacity:0" (i.e. rgba(255,255,0,0.5)
> in the middle), which is not what SVG does.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/painting.html#Gradients says explicitly
> its behaviour is the non-premultiplied behaviour we currently get with
> canvas. ("gradient from fully transparent red, via partly transparent
> dark yellow, to fully opaque lime" - the RGB components of fully
> transparent colours are preserved.)
>
> Maybe CSS should have originally used the keyword "transparentblack"
> instead of "transparent" (though the distinction didn't matter before
> gradients existed) - changing the gradient algorithm solely to work
> more intuitively when people happen to use that one particular
> incorrectly-named keyword seems backwards, and a mistake in CSS.
>
> (Perhaps CSS gradients could avoid this problem by overriding the
> meaning of the "transparent" keyword, so that instead of rgba(0,0,0,0)
> it means A=0 with the mean RGB of the adjacent colour stops. That
> [...]

The people at Opera responsible for the graphics layer agree with Philip's
point of view. They also pointed out we do support rgba() in SVG.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/