[whatwg] Processing the zoom level - MS extensions to window.screen

This response is from the digest: I'm glad to see activity here.
As I can't figure out how to hit reply in thread, I'll take some editorial
discretion here and just summarize it, so we can make a decision on the
use case.

Ojan calls for: "good use-cases for the general web",

Boris implies that discussion hasn't been open on the topic.

Rob reminds us of that a poor use case will "interfere with the user's
ability to zoom".

Simon puts forward two use cases:
"sizing the canvas backing store to get a sharp image on high-resolution
displays, and possibly swapping in different image assets from JS."

TJ promptly minimizes the use cases:
"sure, that's a somewhat valid reason, but still very minor."

And now I have the floor:

Sizing the backing store and swapping image assets is exactly the use
case I'm working with. This is a serious issue for accessibility.

Canvas is supposed to be resolution independent, not resolution
agnostic. When a user zooms in, I need to be able to reprint my fillText
to match their resolution.

This data is critical for accessibility, to make text legible.

Boris, Rob: As an accessibility use case, this is quite important.
Please let me know if there are objections.

Ojan: setZoomLevel is already available through document.body.zoom. As a
browser extension, those items are fine. But they don't address the use
cases I've outlined.
I feel the same about the moz extension.

Rob: Mobile deployments using dpiPixelRatio (as has been adopted by Moz
and Webkit) and target-DpiDensity work well on the mobile, they are not
hooked to zoom on the desktop,
and they were not designed for desktop-style zoom. Trying to overload
these variables leads to difficulties between the various mobile style
zooms and desktop zoom.

To all of you: I understand that these proposals hinge on reasonable use
cases. This is a simple extension to implement and relates to an
existing deficiency, not a new feature.
It relates to the correct operation of "zoom": fixing this is an
accessibility requirement.