[whatwg] Built-in image sprite support in HTML5

From: Mike Hearn <mike@plan99.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 17:58:19 +0200
> Finally, there have been proposals for removing the need to sprite
> altogether, by allowing authors to send a bunch of resources packed
> into a single compressed archive, and just addressing individual files
> inside of it.

Yeah, I'd think this isn't really a problem that should be solved as
part of HTML5 but rather as improvements to the protocol level.
Spriting is after all just a hack around the strict 1-file-1-request
nature of HTTP and not something that's really fundamental.

For instance theoretically SPDY should solve this problem. Or indeed
so would HTTP pipelining, if it was used more often.