[whatwg] Speech input element

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Satish Sampath <satish at google.com> wrote:
>> Well, the problem with alert is that the assumption (which may or may not
>> always hold) is that when alert() is opened, web page shouldn't run
>> any scripts. So should <input type="speech"> fire some events when the
>> recognition is canceled (if alert cancels recognition), and if yes,
>> when? Or if recognition is not canceled, and something is recognized
>> (so "input" event should be dispatched), when should the event actually
>> fire? The problem is pretty much the same with synchronous XMLHttpRequest.
>
> In my opinion, once the speech input element has started recording any event
> which takes the user's focus away from actually speaking should ideally stop
> the speech recognition. This would include switching to a new window, a new
> tab or modal/alert dialogs, submitting a form or navigating to a new page in
> the same tab/window.

Yes, I agree with that. The tricky issue, as Olli points out, is
whether and when the 'error' event should fire when recognition is
aborted because the user moves away or gets an alert. What does
XMLHttpRequest do?

--
Bjorn Bringert
Google UK Limited, Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham