[whatwg] Java language bindings for HTML5

Hi,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, K?hn Wolfgang <wo.kuehn at enbw.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are any precompiled Java language bindings for HTML5?

The Java files generated from a set of Web IDL files with our esidl
Web IDL compiler are available at,

  http://es-operating-system.googlecode.com/files/java-binding.1714.zip

This zip file contains ###_Constructor interfaces, but those are only
our experimental ones.

The W3C specifications used for this are summarised at the end of this page,

  http://code.google.com/p/es-operating-system/wiki/CplusplusDOM

Note this page describes about C++ bindings, but esidl can generate
Java bindings, too.

> Earlier specs had them included, for example http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/java-binding.htmlbinding.html
>
> Are there any tools to generate Java interfaces from WebIDL?

To use esidl, please install bison, yacc, and ant, then follow the steps below:

$ mkdir esidl
$ svn checkout http://es-operating-system.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/esidl src
$ mkdir obj
$ cd obj
$ ../src/configure
$ make
$ cd java
$ ant

This leaves .java and .class files under esidl/obj/java/org/w3c/.

> As it is, i can't figure package names, for example for the WebSocket API.
> According the WebIDL specs, it should be org.w3c.WebSocket, right?
>
> As for the html5 elements, will there be a new package org.w3c.dom.html5?

This is our concern, too. Historically each W3C specification
introduced its own module name. However, the recent specifications
tend to omit the module specification in the IDL definition.

    cf. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/1380.html

In the IDL files we used above, we chose module names that seem to be
practical, but those are not part of the standard. Hopefully more
people will revisit this issue sometime soon.

FYI, public-script-coord at w3.org would be a good place to discuss about
Web IDL specific issues.

Best,

 - Shiki