[whatwg] Expanding the cite element

Hi all,

I really like this idea, how would this be handled from a presentational point of view? I guess it will be a CSS style issue but, will browsers implement some standard way of displaying these cite elements if it has the uri attribute?

Schalk Neethling

From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Simpson, Grant Leyton
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:44 AM
To: whatwg at lists.whatwg.org
Subject: [whatwg] Expanding the cite element

Dear WHATWG list participants,

Forgive me if this conversation has been had before; I've just recently joined the list.

Is there any value in adding an "href" or "uri" or similar attribute to the <cite> element to indicate a location for a work (or information about the work) or, in the case of a URI, an indicator that can be used as a reference programmatically?

If it were a URI (and therefore not necessarily retrievable), it would help in cases where the same work gets referenced in slightly different ways:

?

Best,

Grant Simpson
? Senior Analyst/Programmer, Office of the Registrar

? Doctoral Student, Department of English

? Representative, IU Bloomington Professional Council

Indiana University Bloomington