[whatwg] <summary> tag to help avoid redundancy of meta description tag!?

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 03:37 +0100, Roger H?gensen wrote:

> I searched the list, and looked at the HTML5 briefly and found nothing,
> nor can I ever recall such.
> So this is both a question and a proposal.
>
> On my own site currently I mostly replicate the first paragraph of an
> article in my journal as the meta description,
> and write one up for other pages, usually replicating some of the content.
>
> I'm both looking for and want a solution to avoid such redundancy.
>
> The perfect solution would be a <summary> tag, if you look at the
> journal articles on my site you can imagine the first paragraph being
> done like this:

> description, and is a brief summary (description) of the page
> (content)</summary></p>
>
> This way the first paragraph in a page would remain unchanged from how
> it is done today, and a search engine like Google or screen readers etc.
> would use the summary tag instead
> of the meta description (which is no longer needed at all in cases like
> this), if more than one summary tag the first is considered the page
> summary one, while the others are ignored (but still shown as content
> obviously).
>
> If a new tag is overkill for this, maybe doing it this way instead
> (using one of the new HTML5 tags):
> old meta description, and is a brief summary (description) of the page
> (content)</header></p>
>
> I really do not care how this is implemented/speced just as long as it's
> possible to do.
>
> I began thinking of this recently when it annoyed me that I basically
> had to enter the same content twice, after looking at my site links in
> Google,
> and thought to myself...Why do I have to use a meta description to tell
> Google to show the content in the first paragraph as the default summary
> of the page link?
> Why can't I simply specify that the first paragraph "is" the page's meta
> description? Why am I forced to bloat the page unnecessarily like this?
>
> Thee is no reason why the meta description can not be the actual content
> as in most cases I've seen the meta description is supposed to be fully
> human readable,
> unlike the meta keywords which no search engines bothers with at all any
> more.
>
> So if the meta description is supposed to be humanly readable and
> displayable as the page summary to humans in search results,
> why can't it also actually "be" in the page content?
>
> I can see at least two ways this will be used. The more elegant way I
> showed, where the first paragraph is a summary/the lead in of the page
> (and also happens to be the "teaser" content in my RSS feed as well),
> or at the bottom of a page with possibly linked category tags or similar
> within it, again allowing dual purpose and reduced redundancy.
>
> To re-iterate, the idea of the summary tag (or however it is
> implemented) should be to have a human readable summary (or teaser as
> [...]

The main problem with that would be that parsers would then need to read
into the <body> of the page to produce a description of your site. This
might not produce much of an overhead on a one-off basis, but imagine a
parser that is grabbing the description from hundreds or thousands of
pages, then this could become a bit of a problem.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk