[whatwg] Fullscreen for HTML5 Video element

On Mar 9, 2010, at 8:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Michael Dale <dale at ucsc.edu> wrote:
> I was part of the initial thread that was left unresolved. I would just re-iterate that its important the fullscreen system does not deprive the web designer of flexibility to do DOM overlays / layouts.
>
> You mean the thread "api for fullscreen()"? Actually I thought that thread ended with reasonably strong consensus on what the API should be.

Agreed.

This thread is about API specifically on the video element, for taking the video (and only the video) fullscreen. WebKit has implemented this recently:
<http://ajaxian.com/archives/fullscreen-api-coming-to-browsers-near-you>

It allows WebKit to do a high-performance fullscreen implementation with a high quality cinematic, both of which are hard to guarantee with a more generic fullscreen API.

However, we thing there are use cases for both, which is why we also interested in the more generic API as well. If you need to do DOM overlays with video, then the generic fullscreen API is what you want.

Simon