[whatwg] Fullscreen for HTML5 Video element

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 12:48 +0000, Tim Hutt wrote:

> 2010/3/8 Ashley Sheridan <ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk>
> > Also, I've never seen anything built in Flash that started up in full-screen mode automatically. I had to trigger it explicitly every time by an action from me.
>
> That was his point - despite the fact that it *can* be done in flash,
> it isn't. Hence the argument in the spec is invalid.
>
> I don't really see what's wrong with having an API for fullscreen. If
> they want, user agents could have a preference to disable the
> full-screen API if people ever start doing annoying things.
>
> As for the security issue, the 'Press Escape to exit fullscreen mode'
> banner works for flash.

The banner would be a good idea, but it would depend or not if Adobe had
the copyright on that sort of thing. It sounds stupid, but I've seen a
lot worse being copyrighted before.

I think fullscreen within a simple browser window would do the trick. It
would behave in the same way that it does now if you point your browser
at a media file directly rather than at a web page that contains the
clip as a page element.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk