[whatwg] oninput for contentEditable

On 3/3/10 9:31 PM, Daniel Danilatos wrote:
> Worth noting, the events should convey the user intent - so, e.g. not
> just "delete chars 5 - 8" but "forward word delete, which is chars 5 -
> 8".

So I have to ask... Why are events _before_ the edit needed?

If we add these, then you have to define what happens when those event
handlers modify the state of the DOM in arbitrary ways, including
carrying out operations that spin the event loop, operations that make
the edit that's about to happen nonsensical, and so forth.  It's a huge
chunk of spec and implementation complexity.  So I'd like to see some
very compelling use cases to even consider it.

-Boris