[whatwg] Content encoding (e.g. compression) in Web Sockets

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Doug Simpkinson wrote:

> The current Web Socket wire protocol does not make allowances for
> compression.

Yeah, this is a known issue. We're still trying to nail down the exact
handshake and basics of the framing, but compression will almost certainly
be one of the first features we add in version 2. I expect we'll add a new
header that the client sends to indicate it supports compression, and if
the server responds with the same header, the frames will be compressed
instead of being raw data.