[whatwg] Technical Parity with W3C HTML Spec

On Jun 25, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Mike Shaver wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wasn't precise in my language - don't read too much into my exact wording.
>
> No, certainly; I'm much more interested in the spirit here than the
> wording, since it doesn't match my experience or understanding.  I'll
> take on my education burden myself, though!

As one of the "Charter Members" or "Steering Committee", I believe that in principle we have the power to remove or replace the editor, and I believe we have at the very least persuasive authority to overrule decisions, at least if acting by consensus.

However, so far the set of charter members has never tried to overrule or replace the editor. Indeed, this group of people has taken very few collective actions of any kind. Most of what has been discussed, in the rather infrequent discussions, have been political or legal matters, and sometimes these conversations have involved other people from the companies that the nominal charter members work for (such as the W3C AC reps of those companies, or attorneys for legal matters).

Since the process of trying to overrule the editor has never been exercised, it's hard to say definitively how it would go if it ever was.

Regards,
Maciej