[whatwg] Fw: <video>

Sorry. forgot to use the correct mail address for the list.

Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> schrieb am Sun, 20 Jun 2010
21:06:57 -0400:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
> <nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> > AFAIK, at least Firefox shows a fullscreen option already in the
> > context menu. What makes you think there is another attribute
> > needed (besides @controls) ?
>
> So... an interesting bit of fun comes up when you use layout tricks to
> prevent the context menu in order to make save as impossible, and you
> eliminate the full screen option as an unwanted side effect.

History has shown repeatedly that people will go to great lengths to do
unbelievable stupid things. However, I do not believe that we should
condone this ? such a bozo "copy protection" scheme should never be a
reason to make life anymore complex for users and implementors.

Also, from a strategic point of view, if there is no possibility to
disable certain useful functionality with the needed granularity (so
that collateral damage is inevitable), malicious authors may get a clue
and stop doing such things.

> There is also the issue of the context menu not being an especially
> intuitive or discoverable way of activating it, especially if all the
> rest of the controls are buttons below the video.

If this is the only problem, it clearly is an an implementor issue.
UAs could show a little fullscreen button besides the volume / mute
controls, no extra markup attribute needed.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>