[whatwg] input type=upload (not just files) proposal

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

>  On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:37 -0400, Simpson, Grant Leyton wrote:
>
> Are you wanting the user to manually enter the filename, including the file:// scheme? If not, are you envisioning the file dialog box to provide a choice between selecting local files and entering an http/ftp url?
>
> On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
>
> > It would then be the server's job to fetch the file unless the user
> > passed it a file:// scheme it which case the file would be provided by
> > the UI.
>

>  I can see how this might work, but in theory it would be more difficult
> than it sounds. For example, passing an FTP uri would only work if that FTP
> server allowed anonymous access, as you wouldn't want to pass your own FTP
> access credentials to an unknown server.

Or the UA could fetch the remote resource and then re-transfer it, as is
sometimes an option on desktop mail clients when attaching a URL ("attach
page" vs "attach link", or similar).  Then it's just a UA issue, since the
client can do that for any file input, and could even permit creating one
from the clipboard.

Mike