[whatwg] audio and video: volume and muted as content attributes?

On 6/1/10 7:09 AM, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
> Also @media aural {display: none;} can be used on audio elements
> but I haven't read the specs properly so I don't know if that would hide
> an<video>  element when inside of an @media aural clause.

You seem to be somewhat confused about the way "media" are used in CSS.

A "medium" is a property of the way the entire document is being
presented.  Typical values one runs into with desktop web browsers are
"screen" and "print".  The spec you link to is for the "aural" and
"speech" media.

So in particular, rules inside "@media aural {}" will get ignored in all
desktop browsers.  (Your example has a declaration directly inside
@media, which is just a parse error, but I assume you meant putting an
actual rule that assigns display:none to a particular element in the
@media rule).

But more to the point, since the aural properties only apply to "aural"
and "speech" media it would require a pretty major CSS spec change to
make them mean anything in the "screen" medium, which is what you're
proposing.

-Boris