[whatwg] Why [PutForwards=value] for htmlFor output element attribute ?

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> I'm wondering why the [PutForwards=value] extended attribute is needed
> for the htmlFor output element attribute ?

It's an attempt to make it work the same as <label>'s htmlFor, while still
supporting the new token-based API.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Olli Pettay wrote:

> I agree. In general PutForwards makes APIs strange, IMO Location is a
> good example of a pretty awkward API. In the case of output element,
> element.htmlFor.value = "Something" isn't really more difficult than
> element.htmlFor = "something";

True, but it would mean that it is inconsistent with <label> in a weird
way.

> It is a bit ugly that one .htmlFor is DOMSettableTokenList,
> but other .htmlFors are DOMStrings

Yeah. I'd love to change the other ones; is that safe? I've been relucant
to risk it so far.

> Btw why doesn't .classList have PutForwards
> (in which case it could use DOMSettableTokenList)

To set it, use className. I'd have liked to just make className into a
DOMSettableTokenList, but that would mean it was no longer a String
object, and while changing htmlFor might be safe, I'm almost certain
changing className would not be.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Magnus Kristiansen wrote:

> You could argue that every DOMSettableTokenList should have
> PutForwards=value behavior by default, since it already forwards on
> getting.

I don't think you can do that in WebIDL currently.