[whatwg] The youtube html5 streaming issue reprise

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Shane Fagan
<shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just wanted to address the video streaming issue. I went looking today
> and I found that icecast streaming server[0] supports streaming of
> theora and I was thinking that it could be used in conjunction with the
> video tag to address youtube's comment about a lack of streaming issue.
> It may actually already work in the browsers already but I havent
> checked it, ill try it later in the theora enabled browsers and report
> back to anyone who is interested.

I've done that for a long time. I'm sending live webcasts out on the
web using Icecast2 and HTML5. I'm actually also building a small
little HTML5 webcasting program for web so that I can show images of
the slides people are showing when presenting simultaneously. That's
what my first and only email thread to this group was about, getting a
timestamp inside html5 (or fetching it from the Ogg container (or WEBM
in the other case)) so that I could synchronize slides and video.

The video streaming kinda works OK, but it sometimes drops out, I've
shown hour long conferences with no problem. But then again have had
people having much problem.

Actually, using the video tag for firefox and embedding cortado for IE
works good. Sad part is that those using IE gets a better experience
as Cortado is quite willing to get streaming video and show it without
any problems. :-)

But HTML5-streaming works well enough for me to actually have it as my
single income these last months. However, it needs improving if it's
to stay like that.

--
Beste helsing,
Odin H?rthe Omdal <odin.omdal at gmail.com>