[whatwg] HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development) - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 19:18 +0200, Diego Perini wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>
>         On 2010-07-08 02:28, Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>                 This is about the  fourth time I've said it here. Can
>                 the person in
>                 charge of writing the slow and buggy ajvascript on the
>                 HTML 5 spec
>                 please remove that?
>

>                 The problem is that that whatwg page causes freezes
>                 and crashes in Firefox. i
>

>         As a workaround, you can use AdBlock in Firefox to block the
>         offending script.  Just manually add this URL to your block
>         list.
>
>         http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/status.js
>
>         --
>         Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
>         http://lachy.id.au/
>         http://www.opera.com/
>

> The problem is not only with Firefox and it happens I am not only
> using Firefox.
>
> Is there a similar blocking feature of Opera that you can suggest ?
>
> Also in Opera:
>
>    Uncaught exception: Reference Error: Undefined variable:
> fixBrokenLink
>    Error thrown at line 39, column 5 in init() in
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html: fixBrokenLink();
>    called from line 1, column 0 in <anonymous function>(event): init()
>
> I haven't reviewed the complete script itself but I have some thoughts
> about this (comparing behaviour on different browsers).
>
> I suspect that when the above is fixed it will take more time in Opera
> and other browsers throwing errors and (maybe) suspending execution.
> As a side note, should the browser completely suspend script execution
> when an event handler fails ?
>
> Isn't the error thrown in a different execution context when handling
> event listeners ?
>
> I believe the main execution context should not be suppressed,
> especially for an undeclared variable in a different context.
>
> Diego Perini

Someone earlier mentioned the
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/?slow-browser URL.
Would it not be sensible to maybe make that the default behaviour, and
then use a special ?crash-test type URL as the -one that crashes the
browsers- stress test? That way, you'd still have the test if people
wanted it, and those that don't won't get unexpected behaviour.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk