[whatwg] media resources: addressing media fragments through URIs spec

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The W3C WG for media fragments has published a Last Call Working Draft
> at http://www.w3.org/TR/media-frags/ .
>
> The idea of the spec is to enable addressing sub-parts of audio-visual
> resources through URIs, such as http://example.com/video.ogv?t=10,40
> to address seconds 10-40 out of video.ogv. This is relevant for use in
> the <audio> and <video> elements and can help focus the playback to a
> specific subpart.

When dealing with timed content - shouldn't there be a relative URI meaning
from the current time to the designated time.  I'm thinking of something
like:
http://example.com/video.ogv#t=,40
Which would be used to continue a piece a playing media up to the 40 second
point and then stop.

This could prevent a fetch by the UA to the start of the media fragment
which could be especially useful if the media is marked as no-cache.

I'm thinking an article could outline links on a page each of which would
cause a related video to continue playing up to the point specified in the
link and then stop - giving the reader a chance to catch up.

This also brings up the matter of link targets.  Shouldn't I be able to do
something like this:

<video name="presentation"></video>