[whatwg] More YouTube response

On 4 July 2010 13:57, bjartur <svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I fail to see how BBC would be harmed by the usage of alternative
> software. Its business model is about content, not software, right?

See, you're using logic and sense ... about half the BBC want to just
*make their stuff available*, the other half are worried about the
thicket of laws and agreements that made sense in the days of analogue
tape broadcast on analogue television that, despite not making sense
on the Internet, still bind them legally. (Broadcast rights, residuals
for actors and writers, etc.) These are serious and real concerns and
they can't just ignore them.

It's all very complicated when real money is at stake.

(c.f. The Innovator's Dilemma.)

That said: DRM is a provably broken concept. Anyone who demands it be
incorporated into a standard is fundamentally, deeply wrong and can
work around it with some sort of proprietary plugin, because that way
they won't be requiring anyone else to pretend mathematics doesn't
work.

- d.