[whatwg] Multiple file download

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 22:50 -0500, Brian Campbell wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2010, at 6:02 PM, And Clover wrote:
>
> > Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> >
> >> or fixing UAs to only prompt once, to inventing yet another package format here.
> >
> > I'd go further: why not just give UAs an option to decompress a ZIP archive (or potentially other recognised archive format) to multiple files (or a folder containing them)?
>
> Some UAs already have this feature. In Safari, if you have the 'Open "safe" files after downloading' option enabled (I believe it's enabled by default, though I usually leave it disabled because there have been a few exploits contained in supposedly "safe" files), it will unpack your ZIP or .tar.gz archives, and delete the archive leaving only the resulting folder.
>
> > This would require no standards work and would be of general utility for all existing file downloads (I'd certainly be happy to shed a few clicks from the ZIP download-open-extract-delete shuffle).
>
> Yep, there's nothing stopping browsers from implementing this, and there are already browser that do it. It's just a matter of encouraging other browser vendors to follow suit.
>
> -- Brain

Ideally I guess then, the browsers would support .tar.gz files as these
give much better compression than .zip. Unfortunately, that's probably
unlikely to happen this decade with a certain browser made by a company
that is known for trying to get developers to do things their way...

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk