[whatwg] Multiple file download

From: Jose Fandos <iaminlondon@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:06:29 +0000
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash at ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

>  On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 10:10 +0000, Jose Fandos wrote:
>
> Currently there are implementations allowing multiple file upload without
> the need for flash or java applets.
>
>  What doesn't seem to be there, unless a java applet is used (haven't come
> across one using flash) is the multiple file download. Even Google Docs uses
> a zip file to download multiple files.
>
>  Was wondering if this could be made part of the standard. If something
> like resource packages <http://limi.net/articles/resource-packages/> were
> used, the server would still be sending one file which could be heavily
> compressed, letting the UA to decompress and display as if a bunch of files
> had been downloaded separately.
>
>  /J
>

> Do any browsers support the resource packages link you gave?

I don't know but don't think any browser does just yet. From the link I
gave, it is just being specified.

> As for multiple file download in the manner you describe, that would
> require some pretty big changes to the http protocol as far as I can tell,
> as it is there that this sort of thing is handled.

The resource packages specification is doing in my eyes exactly that.
Allowing scripting to select files to put in a resource-type package and
having the browser uncompress and save to disk (like a regular download)
rather than processing them to render the page would allow this without any
big changes, as long as resource packages makes it through.

/J

--
Jose Fandos
CEO