[whatwg] Adding FormData support to <form>

On Feb 18, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Anne van Kesteren
> <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:15:25 +0100, Jonas Sicking
>> <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>>>
>>> So I suggest we add a method like
>>>
>>> interface HTMLFormElement : HTMLElement {
>>>  FormData getFormData();
>>> };
>>
>> Should we name it toFormData() instead for consistency with
>> <canvas>? Or is
>> <canvas> inconsistent with something else?
>
> There are much more functions that are named "getX" than "toX" in the
> DOM. Such as getElementById, getElementsByTagName,
> getBoundingClientRect.

I agree. toFoo implies a mere conversion. But getting the FormData is
not just a type conversion.

However, I also think 0-argument getters are a bad pattern in
JavaScript. Why not just use an attribute?

interface HTMLFormElement : HTMLElement {
  readonly attribute FormData formData;
};

Regards,
Maciej