[whatwg] Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:54 -0500, L. David Baron wrote:

> On Thursday 2010-02-18 16:45 -0600, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > Anne suggested in IRC using the pseudoclass approach, and pairing it
> > with the ::value pseudoelem from the Basic UI Module.  You could get
>
> But the key question (from the Webkit bug) is really whether the UA
> styles apply to the input itself or a pseudo-element inside of it.
>
> If the UA style is
>   input:has-placeholder { color: ... }
> then, as far as I can tell, there's no point to styling the ::value.
>
> If the UA style is
>   input:has-placeholder::value { color: ... }
> then you get the same cascading result as with an input::placeholder
> pseudo-element (styles that don't select the pseudo-element don't
> change the UA default), but with the addition that authors can style
> the input in other ways.
>
> -David

I think all the styling can be done without the ::value part, as regular
styling of the element will change the styling of the value. (I hope
I've got the understanding of ::value right, but Googling ignores
the :: !)

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk