[whatwg] Customize HTML5 forms placeholder style

> Can we really not try to push this as pseudo-class and educate the
> masses?

I'm not sure what you're proposing.  Something like
"input:has-placeholder-showing"?  (I guess webkit tried
":-webkit-input-placeholder-mode".)

> UAs could do some trickery that their default style rule has
> higher specificity than style= or some such to work around the issue
> WebKit ran into.

Uh... Can we please define "some trickery"?  Are you talking "any rule
with this magic pseudo-class has higher specificity than any rule
without this magic pseudo-class"?  Something else?

The main benefit of using a pseudo-class is that it allows you to style
the input itself, not just the text, right?  Is that desirable?  Is it
desirable enough to rewrite CSS cascading to do it?

-Boris