[whatwg] Video source selection based on quality (was: <video> feedback)

On 16 February 2010 15:17, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:30 PM, Tim Hutt wrote:
>> Anyway, with respect to the actual discussion. My vote is to add two
>> optional tags to <video>
>
> ?I assume you mean to add these to the <source> element rather than <video>?

Yep.

>> : bitrate="800" (in kb/s) and
>
> ?If a UA is to use bitrate as a selection criteria, what data should it base the selection on? Would you have it ping the server where the resource is located? If so, how much data should it be required to read?

It's up the UA. It can ping the server if it wants. If I were writing
the UI for firefox, for example I would have it do the following:

1. Display a drop-down of available video formats: "640x480, 400
kpbs", "800x600, 600 kbps", etc.
2. The default choice would be the option that is most similar to the
previous value a user selected. There would also be an option in the
preferences: "[x] Always use the highest available video quality"
where highest is decided by bitrate, then resolution.
3. If the default isn't the highest quality, show a little "Better
quality available" tooltip similar to youtube's "Watch in HD".
4. If the video stutters a lot, and there is a lower quality video
available, display a (non-modal) message along the lines of "Lower
quality video is available, it may work better."