[whatwg] Bluetooth devices

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 14:01:54 -0500
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the question we should be asking here is,
> why *would* you use Java or Flash instead of HTML5, and how can we fix
> that?

This much I agree with in principle, though not to the extent that
every single use case Java handles should be represented in HTML5.

>?In this case, I think we have bigger fish to fry for the time
> being, but some sort of peripheral driver interface for web apps would
> be a good idea to have eventually.

Let's be clear about terminology: do you mean an interface to access
peripheral drivers, or an interface to implement them?

The latter doesn't belong anywhere near Javascript, at least in any
standardized, cross-platform sense.

The former is more reasonable in principle, but the interfaces to
drivers vary wildly depending on the device and operating system.
That's the point of a driver, of course, to translate the device to a
higher-level interface for accessing it.  It's not possible to create
a single API to encompass them all.

--
Glenn Maynard