[whatwg] <comment> element in HTML5 Spec?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Richard Summers
<Richard.Summers at bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> I was
> wondering, is there any plan to implement a <comment> element within the
> HTML5 spec?

"comment" isn't an available element name for historical reasons:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535229(v=vs.85).aspx

> I?m suggesting this as a complimentary element to the <article>
> element.
>
> I believe it could be useful as it could be used to differentiate between
> audience generated content and article-author generated content. This could
> enable search engines to differentiate between the 2 types of content, and
> weigh them differently in different searches. Semantically and structurally,
> something like this seems to make sense.

Search engines wanting to do this could distinguish between "article"
instances and sub-"article" instances:

"When article elements are nested, the inner article elements
represent articles that are in principle related to the contents of
the outer article. For instance, a blog entry on a site that accepts
user-submitted comments could represent the comments as article
elements nested within the article element for the blog entry."

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element

The "address" element could be used to distinguish contributors:

"The address element represents the contact information for its
nearest article or body element ancestor."

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-address-element

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis