[whatwg] <comment> element in HTML5 Spec?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing to note - <comment> has already been used by IE6 and earlier
> as an alternative to the <!-- --> syntax for HTML comments. ?They
> apparently stopped supporting this in IE7, though (I can confirm that
> it no longer does anything special in IE8), so we probably don't have
> to worry about it. ?No other browser does anything special for it, it
> seems, so the compat impact is apparently small enough to be ignored.

Sorry, I was using IE9 beta accidentally.  IE9 beta treats <comment>
like an ordinary unknown element.  IE7 and IE8 both treat it like an
HTML comment.

That's probably sufficient backwards-incompatibility to kill the idea
of using that particular name for this element.

~TJ