[whatwg] Bluetooth devices

From: Diogo Resende <dresende@thinkdigital.pt>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:33:32 +0000
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:13 -0800, David Singer wrote:

> But there is still a whole OS, and a piece of hardware (the bluetooth chip)
> between the browser and the bluetooth device.  If the OS considers the device
> 'visible' or 'connected' then it's available to the browser.  It doesn't
> matter what the means of connection is.
Agree. Right now, it might be available to the browser, not the
developer. There's no way to reach such devices.

> If you're suggesting that we should have ways of browsing what devices/services
> you *might* connect to (the equivalent of the panels that OSes offer to set up
> pairing), on Bluetooth (or, I guess, the network), that raises a whole host of
> questions and issues.
I described the whole process but the search/pairing could still be done
by the OS.

> So I still think, if the OS thinks you can talk to it (it's paired or connected),
> the fact that Bluetooth is the 'wire' is irrelevant.  If the OS does *not* think
> it's connected, then you're talking about establishing connectivity through some
> kind of browser/web-mediated interaction.
The OS might find it and pair with it. The idea is that the OS might not know what
kind of device it is but a web app might and should be able to "talk" in some way.