[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:05:09 +0000
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:
> Has this list considered moving towards standards in 'chrome' extensions?

Not to my recollection.

> It
> seems that there is a lot of low-hanging fruit
> that, while not exposed to untrusted scripts, could easily be standardized
> between vendors supporting the Widgets spec.

I think there's room for convergence of extension/widget APIs,
including perhaps additions to the regular DOM APIs that are only
available to trusted code.

While ideally defects in systems IMEs would be fixed at the system
level, workarounds at the extension level would at least work with all
text entry controls across the web, rather than just individual sites.

I think groups who should be involved in a discussion around API
convergence include CommonJS and the GreaseMonkey community.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis