[whatwg] Javascript: URLs as element attributes

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:37:31 -0800
2010/12/1 timeless <timeless at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>> These can also be done with data:text/html,<script>...</script> and maybe
>> <canvas>. It is slightly longer, but not much.
>
> Sure, play the canvas card. I could just as easily respond to
> everything by saying "you don't need layout rules, you could just
> <script> + <canvas> to write your own portable layout engine".
>
> Pnglets date to around 1999 according to a quick read of http://elf.org/pnglets/

Your objection doesn't seem to make sense.  <canvas> is *explicitly*
designed to solve the use-case of drawing images from script, which is
what you were suggesting javascript urls could be useful for.
Suggesting it for that use-case is thus completely appropriate and
useful, unlike the hypothetical response you bring up in your
objection.

~TJ