[whatwg] Please consider adding a couple more datetime <input> types - type="year" and type="month-day"

Am 31.08.10 03:36, schrieb Ian Hickson:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Martin Janecke wrote:
>>
>> Future browser could offer a calendar tool to fill input fields that
>> have a date semantic. While this would be appropriate, it would not be
>> appropriate to offer a calendar tool for other integer data e.g. an
>> input field that asks the user for his monthly income in USD.
>
> Why would you want a calendar tool for a year?

Actually, I'd be fine with typing a whole YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD
date/time into an ordinary text input field.

But as it seems HTML will have date and time input fields. Taking this
into account I'd be confused to experience different behavior for
different date fields in the same form, i.e. sometimes being able to use
a calendar tool and sometimes not being able to use it.

(Just as Andrew Hayward stated:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-August/028097.html)

I'd also be interested in browser developers' opinion on this? Are you
likely to implement a date selection tool in the coming years? Or accept
dates dropped from another application? I assume this becomes more and
more useful with the growing importance of web applications.

My online banking account implements such a feature with JavaScript, so
does my webmail account. But the tools are different, as they are made
by different people and will be different again on the next website,
although doing the same. Then my e-mail box autoresponder configuration
uses <select>s to do the same as the JavaScript calendar tools mentioned
above. Having all of these implemented by a common browser's date
selection tool would make such standard input elements more accessible
(and work with JavaScript turned off).